It’s a short week for the Council, but still a news-worthy one — especially Wednesday.
Monday is a federal holiday, so the usual Monday Council meetings are moved to Tuesday.
Tuesday morning at the weekly Council Briefing, the Council members will hear a presentation from their central staff on a bill requiring TNCs and food-delivery companies to provide premium pay for their gig workers during the COVID-19 emergency.
Tuesday afternoon at the full City Council meeting, the Council will take votes on the following bills:
- the appointment of Andrea Scheele as Executive Director of the Civil Service Commission and the Public Safety Civil Service Commission;
- a collective bargaining agreement between the city and its parking enforcement officers;
- an MOU between the city and a coalition of unions representing city workers temporarily waiving some provisions of their employment contracts during the COVID-19 emergency.
This week’s Introduction and Referral Calendar includes these new pieces of legislation:
- the previously-mentioned bill requiring premium pay for some gig workers;
- a lot subdivision;
- a street vacation requested by Seattle City Light.
Wednesday morning, the Community Economic Development Committee meets, and will hold a required public hearing on the proposed renewal of the University District Business Improvement Area.
Wednesday afternoon, the Select Committee on Homelessness Response and Investments meets. It will take up a bill proposed by Council members Morales, Sawant and Mosqueda that would restrict the situations in which the city may remove an unsanctioned homeless encampment.
Friday afternoon, the Sustainability and Renters Rights Committee is scheduled to meet. No agenda has been published for the meeting yet and it may get cancelled, but given that committee chair Sawant called a special meeting last week to discuss her proposed payroll tax, anything could happen. UPDATE: the meeting has been cancelled.
I hope you found this article valuable. If you did, please take a moment to make a contribution to support my ongoing work. Thanks!