Welcome to Budget Season.
Monday morning’s weekly Council Briefing has no special presentations or executive sessions.
Monday afternoon’s full City Council meeting is scheduled to include the ceremonial receipt of the Mayor’s proposed budget for 2022 and a copy of her budget address. It will also include votes on:
- a bill changing the affordability requirements on a recent ordinance allowing religious organizations more freedom to construct affordable housing on property they own or control;
- several appointments to the Pioneer Square Preservation Board and the Seattle Women’s Commission;
- an ordinance requiring a minimum of 180 days’ prior written notice to tenants whenever a landlord raises the rent;
- an ordinance requiring landlords to to provide relocation assistance when a landlord raises rent 10% or more in one year;
- an ordinance creating a 15th Avenue East Business Improvement Area;
- an ordinance providing alternative development standards for small lots in Belltown;
- an ordinance lifting a proviso on the Strategic Initiative Fund to combat displacement of BIPOC communities.
This week’s Introduction and Referral Calendar includes the following new bills:
- An ordinance clarifying a requirement in the Tenant Relocation Assistance Ordinance;
- An alley vacation petition and a resolution setting the date of a public hearing regarding it;
- An ordinance establishing Juneteenth as a legal holiday for some city employees.
All of the regular Council committee meetings are cancelled from now until the 2022 budget is done at the end of November.
Monday evening at 5pm, Mayor Durkan will deliver a speech unveiling her proposed 2022 city budget.
This Wednesday through Friday, the Council will hold Budget Committee meetings in both the morning and the afternoon to hear presentations on the Mayor’s proposed 2022 budget.
The exact schedule of the presentations has not yet been published. UPDATE: the schedule for Wednesday through Friday is posted here, and looks like this:
I hope you found this article valuable. If you did, please take a moment to make a contribution to support my ongoing work. Thanks!